Black Raspberry Ice Cream
A creamy homemade black raspberry ice cream recipe that features a convenient alternative when fresh fruit isn’t available.
Another weekend over and another weekend closer to Fall. Even though I’m super excited for all things Fall, as previously mentioned, I’m kind of suddenly in this weird place where I’m sad to see Summer go too. Labor Day usually marks the end of Summer, the last hurrah even. But not really for us because Wednesday marks the start of the new school year. Never in my life did we stat prior to Labor Day so this is super weird. It makes total sense living where we do though. You have to finish school by a specific date and have a certain number of school days. If you have too many snow days you run the risk of canceling vacations or *gasp* even going to school later in the day or on the weekends. It’s never come to that, but it’s been discussed over the years.
I look at it all like this… Winter brings Spring, which makes us happy because it’s warmer and sunnier. Days are getting longer. Then comes Summer which is obviously a good thing. I love the transition to cooler Fall days, crisp nights, colorful foliage and ripe apples but then comes Winter. It’s a downward spiral. Lauren mentioned the other day that days are getting shorter. I had somehow pushed that out of my mind. It’s one of the many things food bloggers dread most. Dark by dinner – no thanks.
Since we’re talking last hurrah’s of Summer… this ice cream is definitely one of them. Maybe you can’t find black raspberries in your area now or even at all. I looked and couldn’t find any so I switched things up using something that can easily be found… jam. Yup, black raspberry jam is the star of this easy ice cream recipe. It’s not quite like the ice cream I remember sharing with my dad or even buying from the store on occasion now, but it’s a nice stand-in when I can’t have the real deal.
A refreshing black raspberry ice cream is just what you need to wish Summer farewell and welcome Fall.
Yield: Serves 4-6
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus chill time
Total Time: 24 hours plus
Black Raspberry Ice Cream
Creamy homemade black raspberry ice cream that features a convenient alternative when fresh fruit isn't available.
- 1C whole milk
- 2C heavy cream
- 1/2C granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1C seedless black raspberry jam
- 5 egg yolks
- Place 1 cup heavy cream in a medium bowl, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat milk with remaining 1 cup heavy cream, sugar, salt and jam. Stir to dissolve sugar. Cook over until steaming.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Slowly drizzle 1 cup of the hot liquid into egg yolks while whisking constantly. Pour egg mixture into saucepan. Stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until mixture coats the back. Pour through a mesh strainer into the reserved 1 cup of heavy cream. Stir over an ice bath to cool liquid. Transfer to a covered container. Chill for 24 hours.
- Churn ice cream according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a freezer safe container, cover and freeze until firm.
Baked by Rachel original
Even more scrumptious Summer dessert recipes:
Strawberry oatmeal crumb bars
Mini s’more cheesecakes
Mini cookies and cream cheesecakes
Soft batch chocolate chip cookies
Perfect s’more cookies
Roasted strawberry cheesecake ice cream
S’more ice cream
York peppermint patty ice cream
Orange creamsicle ice cream
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links.