Slow Cooker Cheesy Mexican Chipotle Corn Chowder
Hearty slow cooker cheesy Mexican chipotle corn chowder. Classic comfort food with a flavorful and spicy twist!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 30 mins
Total Time4 hrs 45 mins
Servings: 8 plus
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 C yellow onion chopped
- 1 C red bell pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 1/2 C russett potatoes chopped into small bite sized pieces
- 15 oz petite diced tomatoes drained
- 15 oz black beans drained and rinsed well
- 2: 15oz cans whole kernel corn drained
- 7oz can whole kernel corn drained
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3 C chicken broth
- 8 oz cheddar cheese freshly shredded
- 1 C heavy cream
- 2 Tb cornstarch
To a blender, add 1 cup corn, 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce and 1 cup chicken broth. Process until smooth. Set aside. To the bowl of a 6 quart slow cooker, add thawed uncooked chicken breast, vegetables, beans, seasonings and remaining chicken broth. Add pureed corn to slow cooker, stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 or 8 hours on low.
When the initial cook time is up, carefully remove chicken breasts. Shred with forks and set aside. Shred cheese and add to slow cooker. Stir to combine and melt. Whisk together heavy cream and cornstarch until smooth. Pour into slow cooker and stir to combine. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker. Cover and continue to cook for an additional 30-45 minutes.
Serve warm with optional tortilla strips and extra cheese.