Once upon a time I had a crazy obsession with Chex Mix. I managed to go years without buying a single bag. I’m not sure how that happened exactly, I think it started out with me cringing over the high price for such a little bag and it turned into me forgetting. I didn’t even give those lovely bags a glance as I walked down the aisle. Something was most definitely wrong with me.
I finally caved and bought a pretty blue bag of Chex Mix only to be deeply disappointed. Where did the bagel chips go?! It was also seriously lacking in the seasoning department. I always loved the cereal pieces overly coated with seasoning.
So this post isn’t about homemade Chex Mix, but it is about seriously tasty and easy to make bagel chips. I had dip to make and not a single chip insight, enter bagel chips. I love bagel chips. I honestly think my favorite part about homemade chips is that you can flavor them however you please. I’m most definitely going to make these a lot, especially when we have a reason to snack… like say the biggest football game of the year.
I promise I have something special to go with these chips. I could sit and eat these chips as is but sometimes you want a little dip, right? Be sure to stop by later in the week for a delicious dip recipe. In the meantime, check out how to make some seriously easy and snack-able bagel chips below. These would go fantastic with a variety of warm and cold dips, or as is.
- 2 large bagels, any variety
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice bagels into thin discs. In a small bowl, melt butter with olive oil. Add butter and olive oil to a 9x13 baking dish. Tip and rotate baking dish until entire bottom is coated with butter and oil.
- Place bagel slices in baking dish, press down, flip and repeat. Transfer soaked bagel slices to a baking sheet. Repeat process with all bagel slices.
- In a small bowl, mix spices and sprinkle over bagel slices.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Flip slices. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until desired crispness is reached.
- Cool and serve plain or with your choice of dips. Store in an airtight container.