Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Right now I’m in catchup and planning mode. I have a few items that have already been made and devoured. Pictures have been sitting patiently waiting for my attention, waiting for love and writing inspiration. Sometimes it’s easier said than done. Sometimes I just need a break. We all have those days and weeks. On the other hand, I have items waiting to be made. I actually have a whole list of items I’d like to make. Whether I’ll get to them all or not in the near future is obviously yet to be determined. Only time will tell but I do have some truly fun and yummy ideas.
I’m super eager for fall…at least when it comes to all of the yummy food and more predictable weather. With fall comes so much… peaches, though technically that’s still a summer item but if you look at the weather it could be debatable. Apples… oh apples how I love thee. I’m most eager for them. Amazingly juice and large cortland apples. They’re my favorite. I could go on and on about fall but I’ll just stop there. Why ruin a good thing? Apples is really where it’s at.
What also comes with fall… school. Our oldest is starting preschool this year. It’s going to be a challenging time for us adjusting to all of the new changes. I’ve been trying to think of plan ahead meal ideas for breakfast so she can have a quicky item before heading off to school for a few hours. Or even items to pack in her bag for snack time. I’m actually baffled by snack time since school is only 3 hours but whatever…
One item I recently decided to put into action were these amazingly moist banana muffins. I’ve made banana muffins before. One with juicy strawberries and the other with walnuts. This batch is basically a slight twist on the walnut version. It’s mostly the same honestly, just no walnuts and the lovely addition of chocolate chips. You can’t go wrong with chocolate chips. Right? I figured muffins would be a great breakfast or mid morning snack… or late afternoon snack. Maybe even a late night snack. I promise I won’t tell.
*shown above: the difference between a cooked muffin without and with the cinnamon sugar topping.
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 1 1/4 C all purpose flour
- 1 C old fashioned oats
- 3/4 C light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C bananas, roughly 2 medium
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 C milk
- 1 C chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, add flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon. Give a quick mix. Mash bananas until very smooth, add to bowl followed by butter and egg. Begin mixing on low. Slowly add milk. Mix just until all ingredients are combined. Do not over mix. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide batter among liners with one full scoop each.
- Optional: In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp granulated sugar and 3/4 tsp cinnamon. Top off muffin batter with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Always begin checking and testing at the earliest time as all ovens cook different.
- Cool in pan for a minute or two. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before devouring. Store in an airtight container for up to several days or freeze - remember to always label any items you'll be freezing!