Slow Cooker Chicken Parm Meatball Soup
Your favorite chicken Parmesan dish, reinvented into a loaded slow cooker soup with spicy mini chicken meatballs.
Winter break is finally over, but not before we got slammed with another snow storm. Of course, it ended up being a good thing in a way. I totally thought the kids were on break until today, having a full two weeks off. Only Wednesday night we received a call that there’d be no school Thursday due to the weather. Call me confused. I swear the previous calendar said no school all last week. Oops! So, good thing for the snow or I’d have accidentally kept the kids home and probably received a call wondering where they were. Of course that also means they’ll be getting out of school two days later than planned as of now. There’s still plenty of winter though, so we’ll see how many more snow days occur in the next few months.
I hope you had a nice holiday and hopefully a nice break along with that! The changeover to a new year is always weird. It’ll take me at least six months to stop writing the previous year’s date on things. And of course then there’s the battle over healthy eating vs warm comforting food. So I think everyone will be satisfied with what is coming up in the coming weeks. Lots of comforting soups, that considering they’re loaded with good for you stuff… should be considered fairly healthy. It’s not like it’s a cheesecake in a bowl or anything crazy like that. ;)
So it makes sense to get back into the swing of things with a truly comforting and easy soup recipe. As always, I opted to create this in the slow cooker because who really enjoys standing over the stovetop when you can let a small appliance do the work for you while you’re busy with life. Because this recipe requires a little more work with the meatballs, feel free to make those ahead and then toss them in with the veggies in the start of the cooking process. That way you can cook this while at work or off doing errands on the weekend and come back to a perfect lunch or dinner.
This soup encompasses your favorite flavors from a traditional chicken Parmesan dish, but has been reinvented into soup form and with spicy mini chicken meatballs. If you’re looking for a fun soup to try this season, be sure to add this to your list! Check below for some more of my favorites to try!
Slow Cooker Chicken Parm Meatball Soup
- 3/4 C carrots, chopped
- 3/4 C onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 oz petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 7 1/2 C chicken broth
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 3/4 C pasta
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 large egg
- Mozzarella, freshly shredded
- To the bowl of a slow cooker, add carrots, onions, garlic, drained tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and chicken broth. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine meatball ingredients. Using a small cookie scoop, shape mixture into small balls. Place on prepared baking sheet, bake for 10-15 minutes. Add meatballs to slow cooker, replace cover and continue cooking.
- When 4 hours are up, gently stir in pasta and spinach. Cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Divide soup between oven safe bowls. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Bake until cheese is fully melted. If using broiler safe containers, broiler may be used to brown cheese. Alternately a kitchen torch may be used, if desired.
- Enjoy warm.
More slow cooker recipes to try:
Slow cooker two bean buffalo chicken chili
Garlic and Dijon slow cooker chicken
Slow cooker sausage and poblano chili
Slow cooker New England clam and corn chowder
Slow cooker loaded potato soup
Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup
Slow cooker white chicken chili
Slow cooker Italian wedding soup
This post contains affiliate links.