Blueberry Ice Cream
Creamy homemade blueberry ice cream, bursting with flavor! A fun way to indulge in your favorite Summer fruit!
I’m in a weird limbo right now. I’m craving Fall flavors like crazy, while trying to savor all that Summer still has to offer. I’ve already started my Fall recipe baking which certainly isn’t helping my situation any. My favorite local apple farm opened up for the season this week, which has me super giddy. I’m ready to go buy bushel after bushel, but I’m also trying to resist a bit. My absolute favorite variety won’t be available till mid-September at the earliest. We’re almost there but it’s still so far away!
I’m ready for the busy Fall schedules, but I’m not ready for Summer break to be over. It goes by so fast! Fingers crossed for some amazing weather to ring out August. Normally August weather takes a nose dive for us. I love the cooler days, but I’d also love to get some more swimming in before we call it quits for the season. The hard part about living in the northern part of the country is a shorter Summer and swim season, but the payoff is a gorgeous Fall. Again with being in a weird limbo state. I wish I could have the perfect blend of Summer and Fall.
I made this blueberry ice cream a few weeks ago, full well knowing that it would likely be the last homemade ice cream of the season. That doesn’t mean I’m done. It is fully a year round treat in my book. I hope it is for you too!
The great thing about this ice cream, it’s not just a Summer treat because you can use fresh or frozen blueberries! Enjoy your favorite creamy homemade blueberry ice cream any time of the year!
This blueberry ice cream recipe is perfectly sweet, creamy and bursting with fresh blueberry flavor! It’s a must make.
Grab a scoop while you can, it’s sure to disappear fast!
Yield: serves 4-6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 24 hours
Blueberry Ice Cream
Creamy homemade blueberry ice cream, bursting with flavor!
- 2C blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1C granulated sugar, divided
- 1Tb lemon juice
- 2C heavy cream
- 1C whole milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar, blueberries and lemon juice in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil and mash berries. Puree blueberry mixture, then strain through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside.
- Add 1 cup heavy cream and vanilla to a medium bowl with a mesh strainer set on top.
- Combine milk, remaining heavy cream, sugar and salt to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl.
- When milk mixture begins to steam, slowly drizzle 1 cup warm liquid into the yolks, while continuously whisking. Pour egg mixture into sacuepan, followed by blueberry puree. Stir to combine. Continue cooking until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Pour through mesh strainer into reserved heavy cream. Stir and cool over an ice bath to room temperature. Cover and chill thoroughly, 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Churn according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer churned ice cream to a freezer safe container. Cover and freeze until solid.
Baked by Rachel original