Guinness Beef Shepherd’s Pie
Hearty Guinness shepherd’s pie, packed full of tender beef and vegetables. A flavorful meal for St. Patrick’s day celebrations or any day!
Can you believe the weather this winter?! We had three days, in the last week alone, that were near or above 70 degrees… in New England! That’s pure craziness. Now we’re back to typical chilly weather for a while. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t completely love the warm weather though. It was a nice break from the norm. And hopefully a sneak peek of what’s to come! I’m itching for spring weather. It just needs to get here and stick around for a while. Fingers crossed for no more snowstorms this year.
I’m so excited to see the new Beauty and the Beast movie next week. We did a little pre-movie prep and refresher by watching the original Disney version this past weekend. It had been ages since any of us had seen it. A classic I’ll always enjoy watching! Here’s to hoping it’s as magical as they’ve made it seem in the trailers. Will you be going to see it?
Vacation week crept up on us fast this year. I’m sure it was partly due to having a full week of snow days or delays earlier in the month. Too bad the warm weather wasn’t around for our days off! I’m busy trying to come up with some fun activities to keep us busy. Bowling, indoor mini golf, the movies… the aquarium… who knows! If it were up to the kids, we’d go to Chuck E Cheese daily. I can only handle so much of that place, but it is fun for a few hours… when it’s not busy! What are your favorite winter break activities?
I’m a huge fan of holiday and seasonal recipes. There’s always something fun to whip up or experiment with. Since St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner, it seemed fitting to create a brand new festive recipe featuring Guinness! I love cooking and baking with beer, but especially this time of the year. If you’ve never tried it, you absolutely must. It adds incredible flavor and moisture to everything you make.
Be prepared to have your house smell beyond incredible while whipping this up. It will be near torturous since you have to wait to enjoy it, but it will be completely worth it when you finally get to dig in.
Hearty Guinness shepherd’s pie, packed full of tender beef and vegetables. This flavor packed must make meal is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day celebrations or any day! A mash-up of your favorite beef stew and shepherd’s pie, with a fun holiday twist!
Yield: Serves 4-6
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Guinness Beef Shepherd's Pie
Hearty Guinness shepherd's pie, packed full of tender beef and vegetables. A flavorful meal for St. Patrick's day celebrations or any day!
- 1 1/2lb beef stew meat
- 2Tb olive oil or butter
- 1C yellow onion, chopped
- 1C carrots, sliced
- 1/2C celery, chopped
- 7oz peas, drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1Tb tomato paste
- 1Tb steak sauce
- 3/4C Guinness stout
- 3/4C beef broth
- 2Tb all purpose flour
- 3C seasoned mashed potatoes*
- 4oz Colby cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chives, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare vegetables. Trim meat of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces. Lightly sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter or olive oil in a 10-12 inch skillet or large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown meat in batches, flipping once. Transfer meat to a clean bowl or large plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, celery and carrots, cooking until onions are translucent. Add minced garlic, cooking for an additional minute. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme. Stir in tomato paste and steak sauce. Return meat to pan along with peas.
- Whisk together flour and beef broth until smooth and fully combined. Carefully pour beef broth and Guinness into hot pan, stir to combine. Mixture will begin to thicken.
- Transfer mixture to the preheated oven, cooking covered for 60 minutes. Toss gently after 30 minutes.
- If making ahead, cool beef mixture completely. Store in the refrigerator until ready to proceed.
- If continuing with recipe immediately, begin cooking potatoes 30 minutes before beef mixture is ready. Season potatoes with butter, cream, salt and pepper to your liking.
- Stir half of the cheese into the mashed potatoes.
- Top off beef mixture with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Cook for an additional 30-40 minutes. If desired, broil or use a kitchen torch to lightly char the cheese. Sprinkle with chives.
- Serve warm.
*roughly 1lb russet potatoes should be used for mashed potatoes. Season with butter, cream, salt and pepper to your liking.
Baked by Rachel original
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links.