Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
Strawberry lemonade cupcakes featuring moist homemade lemon cupcakes with strawberry buttercream frosting and a surprise lemon curd filling! A fun treat for spring and summer!
I hope you had a great Mother’s Day! We enjoyed a nice low-key Sunday at home, enjoying French toast for breakfast and a Harry Potter marathon. It was another off and on crappy spring day in New England, so indoor activities were a must! The Mr and kiddos spoiled me. It was a nice surprise and now I can’t wait to play with some of my new toys! One of my favorites was this giant donut pool float. I had one last year but it got a hole right on the seam, which proved basically impossible to fix. Hopefully this one lasts longer. It’s seriously the best float when it doesn’t have holes!
This weather has seriously been awful. Another roller coaster ride. I’m sure that’s the case all over the country this year, but I’m ready for some consistent warm and sunny weather. At least if it’s rainy, the bugs aren’t bothering us, but it sure does put a damper on outdoor activities. 2/3 soccer games so far have been rainy and cold. Not fun!
Also, if you follow me on Snapchat, you probably saw that I bought a hydrangea bush on a whim the other day. I went to the store for some fruit and left with fruit and a giant plant. It was too pretty and too good of a price to resist! Now the problem lies with trying to find the perfect spot to plant it. It might have to remain a potted plant for this season if I don’t make a decision soon!
Ever year I have dreams of gardens, whether flowering or herbs/fruit/veggies or both! The problem is, I hate getting dirty, which is kind of a problem when it comes to gardening. And the animals have no respect. The chipmunks think anything I plant is for them. Digging, hunting for treasures. They’re cute troublemakers.
These are basically the most perfect cupcake for spring and summer. A classic flavor, turned into a super fun and flavorful homemade dessert! A must make for all of your barbecues and celebrations…even days ending in a Y. That totally counts as a day to celebrate.
This is a fun smaller batch recipe, making a simple 8 cupcakes. That way you don’t have a bunch lying around taunting you to keep eating! However, if you need to feed more, simply double or triple the recipe to feed a larger crowd!
Moist homemade lemon cupcakes with strawberry buttercream frosting and a surprise lemon curd filling!
These strawberry lemonade cupcakes are a crowd pleaser! Add this fun dessert to your baking plans!
Yield: 8 cupcakes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes plus
Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
Moist homemade lemon cupcakes with strawberry buttercream frosting and a surprise lemon curd filling! A fun treat for spring and summer!
- 1/4C unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2C granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2Tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1C all purpose flour
- 6Tbsp sour cream
- 1 batch lemon curd
- 1C unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3C strawberry jam
- 1/2 tsp strawberry extract
- 1 drop red gel food color
- 2 1/2C powdered sugar
- Fresh strawberries, for topping
- Prepare lemon curd ahead, as directed. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with 8 paper liners.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar, mixing until light and fluffy. Mix in egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract until smooth. Scrape the bowl as needed. Add salt and baking powder, mixing until just combined. Alternate additions of flour and sour cream until fully combined and no streaks remain.
- Divide batter between prepared baking cups, using a large cookie scoop or filling roughly 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan until easy to handle, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cupcakes have cooled, prepare frosting. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together butter, vanilla, strawberry jam and strawberry extract until fully combined. Add powdered sugar in batches, mixing until fully combined. If desired, add 1 drop red gel food color for a brighter shade of pink.
- Transfer frosting to a large piping bag fit with desired piping tip. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife or cupcake corer, remove the center of each cupcake. Be careful not to cut all the way to the bottom. Fill with lemon curd using a spoon or pastry bag. Trim off the bottom portion of the removed cupcake core, placing the top back onto the cupcake. Frost cupcakes with prepared frosting as desired. Top off each cupcake with a fresh strawberry prior to serving.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to several days.
Baked by Rachel original
Items used in this recipe:
MORE CUPCAKES TO TRY:
This post contains affiliate links.