Taco Pizza: Two Ways
A tasty recipe for taco pizza, two ways! The perfect thin crust pizza, topped off with a variety of favorite taco fixings, including seasoned shredded chicken, salsa and more.
Have you heard about the new show Resurrection? I’m not sure if I’m sold on it yet. I’ll give it a few more episodes before I decide. Of course if it ends up being awful, I’ll be mad I wasted that much time on it. How long do you give a show to pull you in? Does it have to be with the first episode, first 10 minutes, several episodes? I understand with a new show, the pilot is really just a way to introduce the show and get a feel for it but may not necessarily be enough time to really pull you in.
It was kind of weird. And by kind of… I mean more like a lot because it’s totally not realistic in the slightest. Of course, we don’t watch shows for reality, even “reality” aren’t real. I can’t help but compare it a little bit to Under the Dome. Only, I’m pretty sure an egg isn’t controlling what’s happening in Resurrection. ;) Oops, sorry… spoiler.
We do weekly pizza nights. A few weeks ago I decided to change things up and created these totally delicious taco pizzas. One for the Mr and one for me… another basic pepperoni for the kids because that’s how they roll. Typically we all have some pepperoni variation, whether it be thin or thick sliced pepperonis, tomato sauce or bbq sauce. But why not blend taco night and pizza night into one totally amazing dinner? Done and done again… because we loved it that much!
You know how I’m not a fan of tomatoes so it’s obvious which of the two here is mine. Both are amazing in their own ways. The Mr was game for everything but didn’t want tortilla strips on his, but I did… his loss! They gave the perfect crunch and texture variation. Plus, they’re seasoned which gives an added boost of flavor.
These were everything I had hoped they would be. Crunchy, spicy, cheesy, so full of flavor. Cheesy shredded tacos on a pizza crust…salsa, jalapeños, you name it! Your favorite taco toppings on the perfect pizza. You need these in your life. Change up your next pizza night with a taco kick!
Yield: 2: 8-inch pizzas
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Taco Pizza: Two Ways
The perfect thin crust pizza, topped off with a variety of favorite taco fixings, including seasoned shredded chicken, salsa and more.
- 1C water
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 1/2C all purpose flour
- 2 tsp fine sea salt
For the chicken:
- 1 chicken breast
- 3/4 tsp chili pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- chicken broth
- Shredded, seasoned chicken
- Whole milk mozzarella, shredded
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Jalapeño slices
- Ground black pepper
- Green onions
- Tortilla strips
- In a measuring cup, combine water heated to 115°F with yeast, sugar and olive oil. Allow mixture to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a stand mixer with dough hook attachment, add 2 1/4 cups flour and sea salt. With mixer running on low, slowly add liquid mixture. Continue mixing, increasing speed and adding an additional tablespoon of flour at a time, up to 1/4 cup, until the dough is smooth and no longer sticking to the sides of the bowl. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size, roughly one hour. Use immediately or transfer to refrigerator to sit for 24-48 hours (allowing for a more flavorful dough).
- To a small saucepan, add chicken, spices and enough chicken stock or water to cover. Cook over medium heat, removing chicken when no longer pink to shred. Return shredded chicken to saucepan, soaking in the seasoned liquid. Increase temperature slightly, continuing to cook until liquid boils off. Remove chicken, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly grease a large baking pan. If making one large pizza, stretch to desired shape and size. If making two smaller pizzas, divide dough in half and shape to desired shapes and sizes. Bake crust for 8 minutes as is. Remove and top off as desired using amounts below.
- *Amounts listed below are each for one small pizza, double amounts if only making one large pizza.
- Salsa taco pizza:
- Lightly spread 5-6 Tbsp salsa over prepared dough. Top off with half of the shredded seasoned chicken, 1/2 cup freshly shredded whole milk mozzarella, 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, jalapeño slices, chopped green onions and a sprinkle of ground black pepper.
- Tortilla taco pizza:
- Lightly brush olive oil over prepared dough. Add half of the shredded seasoned chicken, 1/2 cup freshly shredded whole milk mozzarella, 1/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, seasoned tortilla strips, chopped green onions and a sprinkle of ground black pepper.
- Bake prepared pizza for an additional 10-15 minutes or until desired crispness is reached. Slice and serve warm with optional sour cream.
Baked by Rachel original