Apple Butter Snickerdoodle Cookies
Light and fluffy snickerdoodle cookies with the perfect hint of cinnamon apple flavor. A classic cookie with a fun Fall twist!
It snowed this weekend! And, it’s only the middle of October! Granted, it only snowed for maybe 2 minutes, but… it still snowed. It was so pretty amongst the Fall foliage! Obviously it wasn’t enough to build up or last, but I’ll still count that as our first snow for the season. Of course what that means it winter really isn’t too far off. I know I complain about winter a lot. It’s cold and can become pretty miserable when you get several feet of snow at a time or even snowstorm after snowstorm. But, it’s pretty. I’ll admit it. I do love watching the snow. I’d be okay with flurries off and on all winter, just not the insane storms we frequently get around here in the winter.
This weekend we did our yearly watching of Hocus Pocus. I’m kind of surprised by how few kids Halloween movies there are…or at least semi-decent ones. I had totally forgotten that the same actor who played Binx the cat (and boy) in Hocus Pocus also is now McGee on NCIS. It’s kind of funny to come across those random roles but it’s even funnier when the kids can pick them out. We’ll sometimes try to quiz them and see if they can guess who the other characters are from other movies or shows with the same voice or face. It’s not always easy! I guess I like playing guessing games.
It’s been way too long since I shared a cookie recipe. I was craving cookies the other week so I decided to put a fun spin on my favorite snickerdoodle cookies. I’d already shared pumpkin snickerdoodles, so it seemed fitting to put an apple twist on them!
I love everything apple flavored so I’m honestly surprised it took me this long to whip these up. But, oh they were SO completely worth the wait. They’re incredible and quite possibly my favorite snickerdoodle version to date! And that’s saying a lot because I love snickerdoodle cookies!
Light and fluffy homemade apple butter snickerdoodle cookies with a crisp cinnamon-sugar coating. A perfect Fall treat and an absolute MUST make for all snickerdoodle fans.
Add these fun cookies to your Fall baking plans! Be sure to grab an extra cookie before they disappear!
Apple Butter Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C cinnamon apple butter
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 3/4 C all purpose flour
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla, followed by apple butter. With mixer on low, add remaining spices and flour in small additions until completely added and fully incorporated.
- Transfer to a clean storage container. Transfer to the freezer to chill and firm up for 30-45 minutes or until easy to handle.*
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to portions of dough and immediately drop into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Flip to lightly coat all sides. Roll into a ball and return to the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat completely. Transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing cookies 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow cookies to rest on the pan for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to several days.
This post contains affiliate links.