Buffalo Chicken Wontons
I love food ideas that can be easily be used in multiple recipes with slight adaptions. My mind is always going, trying to think of the next possibility. One day I literally sat and was brainstorming buffalo chicken recipes. Oh the possibilities. This is one of the many I thought of that day. It’s simple, definitely tasty for buffalo lovers and can be great as an appetizer or main dish.
As an appetizer, this could be a very fun party food. Keep in mind you’d definitely want to have these prepped ahead and fry just prior to serving. Alternatively you could have the oven at your lowest temperature and pop these suckers in on a tray to keep warm until serving.
If you love buffalo chicken (anything really), these are a must try. Chicken, buffalo sauce and a crispy shell – how could you not want to that? Your belly will thank me later.
Buffalo Chicken Wontons
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 C water or chicken broth
- wonton wrappers, room temperature
- 1/4 C buffalo sauce
- Chunky blue cheese dressing
- Celery slices for dipping
- Prepare chicken by removing any fat and pounding down meat into an even thickness. Quick method: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breast and at least 1/2 cup water or chicken broth to pan. Cover, reduce heat to medium low. Let cook on each side for 3-4 minutes before flipping. Add more liquid if needed. Long method: In a slow cooker; add chicken and 1 cup water or chicken broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4.
- Shred meat with forks or in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Transfer shredded meat to a medium bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup buffalo sauce to shredded chicken. Toss to coat. Drizzle with more buffalo sauce as desired. Depending on the size of your chicken and how much you use, amounts on sauce and liquid may vary slightly ... or based on personal preference.
- In a deep fryer or large skillet, heat oil to roughly 350°F.
- Meanwhile, gather remaining ingredients. At this time you will need the wonton wrappers, a small glass of lukewarm water, and shredded buffalo chicken.
- Lightly dampen one side of a wonton wrapper. Add a 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp of shredded meat just above the center and towards one wrapper corner. Fold wrapper in half to form a triangle. Wet seams to seal. Repeat until you have used up all of the shredded meat. If not frying immediately, cover prepared wontons with a damp paper towel to keep moist.
- When oil is hot, fry wontons for 2-3 minutes total flipping half way through. Carefully remove and transfer to a paper towel lined tray or plate to drain and cool slightly. How many you can fry at a time will depend on the size of your deep fryer or pan. Don't over crowd them.
- Serve with chunky blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.