PW Wednesdays ~ Ranch Style Chicken
Welcome to the finale, or almost. This is the final PW recipe week though. I had the challenge of choosing what would be our last recipe to make as a group. I wanted it to be tasty and easy. I was definitely feeling the pressure after all of the crazy recipes we’ve already made. I chose one recipe but it didn’t feel right. The name didn’t suit any of us. A few days later I emailed everyone, changing my mind. We’d make chicken instead.
I’m not the griller in the house. I almost baked these…or pan fried. I have zero fear of the oven. The grill is another story. It’s giant, with gas attached to it and occasionally can be seen with fire shooting out of it. Scary. BUT I bit the bullet and grilled these. The Mr was watching over as I made these. I think in part to avoid the drama and screaming from within the house and partly to make sure I didn’t burn the house down.
I’m happy to report, not only did the house make it through my grilling adventure but these were seriously super easy to make. This may have been our easiest recipe. Dare I say it was also the least messy and least guilt ridden recipe too? Zero cream or butter. You could easily turn this into an over the top recipe by wrapping your chicken in bacon instead of laying a few crispy strips on top. I’m positive it’d taste heavenly if you did that. Just a thought…
While I wasn’t blown away by this recipe, it was tasty and relatively quick. The flavor of the mustard marinade was present even after being topped off with bacon and cheese. If you don’t like mustard, this probably isn’t for you. But if you like mustard then I promise you’ll want to give this a try the next time you’re staring at a package or boring plain chicken and contemplating what to do with it. The biggest mess factor was bacon splatter, unless you want to count melting cheese on the grill which created small fires… no biggie.
Eat these as is or added to a sub roll. Serve with a side salad or a warm potato dish.
Ranch Style Chicken
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 C honey
- 1/2 C Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp paprika
- red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 lb bacon
- 3 Tbsp reserved bacon grease
- 2 C sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- Cut chicken breasts in half to form two fairly equally sized pieces. Use a meat mallet to adjust the thickness of each piece as necessary.
- In a large bowl, combine honey, mustard, paprika (or cayenne), salt and red pepper flakes. Whisk until combined. Add chicken to bowl, coat well. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Cook bacon until just crispy. Drain and set aside.
- Prepare grill or large pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken on each side for 3-5 minutes. When chicken is nearly done, top off with 2 slices of bacon and a mound of shredded cheese. Cook until chicken is cooked through and cheese is completely melted.
In case you missed any of the previous PW Wednesday posts:
Week 1: Fried Tacos
Week 2: Mushroom Sliders with Spicy Fry Sauce
Week 3: Carnitas Pizza
Week 4: Breakfast Pizza
Week 5: White Chicken Enchiladas
Week 6: Italian Cream Cupcakes
Week 7: Orange Sweet Rolls
Week 8: Honey Orange Soy Chicken
We’ll be back with one more PW Wednesday… stay tuned for our final thoughts and ratings! :)