Italian Bread Bowls
Easy homemade Italian bread bowls are perfect for soup, chili, chowder and more! Ditch the store bought bread bowls and make your own at home!
Another weekend, another blizzard. We’re well over 70 some odd inches now and that’s only from the last three weeks! I’m actually glad when the weather people are wrong now, but only when it’s in our favor, like this past storm. They had predicted well over a foot of snow for a while, then Sunday morning we woke up and the storm was basically over and had only dropped another 10-inches or so. I know that sounds like a lot, but in comparison to what we already have and what they’ve predicted for some storms, it’s not much. I’m still tired of it. I’ll be happy when it’s finally Spring and there isn’t a chance of snow for another 9 months or so.
We’ve basically been snowed in the last few weeks, what with extreme cold temps or blizzards. So, that gave me the chance to fully binge watch Parenthood. I’m done! Yup. Done. Loved it. Don’t worry…no spoilers, in case you haven’t watched it, or are currently watching. And if you haven’t or aren’t, then you should! Add it to your list right now! They did a great job of wrapping up the show. My problem now is what to watch next?
I made these bread bowls over the weekend and couldn’t wait to share them with you. So incredibly delicious and easy to make! Ditch the store bought bread bowls and make your own at home!
I’m a HUGE fan of soup, chili and chowder in the winter… if you hadn’t already noticed. So, it time I share the perfect item to go with all of those comforting Winter dishes… these bread bowls! The bowls are quite possibly the star of this dish, and that’s saying a lot considering they’re housing one of my favorite soup recipes!
These homemade Italian bread bowls are flavorful on their own, but incredible for thick soups, stews, chili and chowder… and even dips! A must make this Winter!
Check below for a list of perfect recipes to pair with these bread bowls, including my slow cooker loaded potato soup, as seen here!
Italian Bread Bowls
- 1 1/4 C water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 3 C bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1 Tbsp water
- Heat water to 115°F. Dissolve yeast and sugar in water, allow to proof for 5-10 minutes.
- Add flour and salt to the bowl of a stand mixer, with dough hook attachment. With mixer running on low, add in yeast mixture. Increase speed to medium. Slowly drizzle in olive oil. Continue mixing until dough comes together. Add additional flour or olive oil as needed. Transfer dough to a large greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise for one hour, or until doubled in size.
- Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Shape each section into a smooth ball, place on prepared baking sheet. Loosely cover with a clean towel. Allow to rise for 30 additional minutes in a warm location.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine egg white and water. Carefully create 1-2 slices in the top of each roll, roughly 1/4-inch deep. Brush with egg wash mixture. Bake on the middle rack for 15 minutes. Brush rolls again with egg wash mixture. Continue baking for 10 additional minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then using a sharp knife, carefully remove he center of the rolls to create a bowl. Remove additional bread from the inside by hand, as needed.
- Fill and enjoy!
Recipes perfect for bread bowls:
Slow cooker loaded potato soup
Slow cooker chicken pie soup
Slow cooker New England clam and corn chowder
Slow cooker bacon cheeseburger soup
Slow cooker cauliflower and potato soup
Slow cooker corn and white bean chowder
Slow cooker buffalo chicken chowder
Slow cooker Guinness beef stew
Slow cooker corn and bacon chowder with shrimp
Slow cooker two bean spicy chili
Slow cooker turkey and mashed potato chowder
Slow cooker apple cider beef stew
Slow cooker sausage and poblano chili
Slow cooker Mexican chicken chili
Buffalo chicken dip