Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Lasagna Soup
Easy and comforting slow cooker creamy white chicken lasagna soup with mushrooms and spinach. A perfect meal to warm up with all winter long!
Almost two weeks into the new year and boy has it been a year already. 2021 is proving to be another doozy. I’m holding out hope for some pretty amazing things to happen. We’re all do for some uplifting and positive news and events. All of this craziness is partly why we still have our holiday decorations up. That and it’s just a pain to put away. I have to buy some bubble wrap to package up the snow globes this year so we don’t have more tragedies next Christmas. Not that packaging was to blame for our snow globe issues this past year – who knows what caused the leaks but it was pure sadness. And to confirm….yep… still going strong with the Christmas tree lights daily. It’s just magical and happy. I’m not looking forward to that corner of the room being dark again.
I’m so excited that it’s finally soup season! I mean… it can be soup season anytime, but winter is the official time. Chilly days are here to stay and warm super cozy and comforting food is what we’re all craving. And even if you’re working from home these days, slow cooking is still a fantastic way to whip up a delicious meal! It’s my favorite way to make a big batch of soup to enjoy. Toss everything in the slow cooker bowl in the morning and have it ready for dinner…or even lunch if you get an early start! It’s both torture and heavenly to smell a delicious meal cooking all day.
So, I know I probably say this a lot, but…
I’ve been dreaming of making and sharing this soup with you for a long time! It’s basically been since I shared my red based lasagna soup recipe eons ago, which btw is equally delicious in its own right.
But, if you love white lasagna or white sauces, this soup is absolutely for you! I simply adore white sauces. Super cheesy and garlic-y. Pure heaven. This soup is no exception.
Easy and super comforting slow cooker white chicken lasagna soup with a creamy cheesy garlic base. Add in tender lasagna noodles, mushrooms and spinach… it’s everything you’d want in a white lasagna, but in soup form!
A super flavorful family-friendly meal, easy enough for any day of the week! Be sure to add this delicious white chicken lasagna soup to your dinner plans asap!
Tips tricks and questions answered…
How much will this recipe make?
Depending on your portion size, this recipe will serve 6 to 10 people.
Can I use frozen chicken or vegetables?
Fresh and fully thawed meat and vegetables is the best for safety and flavor. Adding frozen ingredients is never advised to slow cooker dishes as it may cause issues bringing the meat to the proper temperature to cook fully.
Can this recipe be frozen?
This soup is best fresh or stored in the refrigerator but you can absolutely freeze this after it’s been fully cooked. With any dairy based soup, you may run into some texture issues or ingredients separating a bit after freezing. It will still be safe to eat though.
How long can this be stored?
This can easily be refrigerated for 4-5 days. If frozen, it will keep up to several months.
A note on reheating…
If desired, add extra broth prior to reheating. Pasta will absorb some of the liquid as it sits. This is not a required step, but may be preferred for some.
Can I substitute anything for the dairy?
Yes! If avoiding dairy completely for health reasons, substitute with dairy alternative milks or coconut milk. Non-dairy vegan cheese and cream cheese can also be used if it is known to melt well.
Can I skip the cheese?
Absolutely! If you prefer a creamy but cheese-free soup, it will work just fine and be equally tasty.
Can I make substitutions to the ingredients?
This recipe works with the exact measurements and and ingredients listed. However, with savory dishes, spices can always be adjusted to personal preferences. Outside of any alterations I’ve already mentioned, for specific substitution questions, ask in the comments below.
Slow Cooker Creamy White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- 1 lb chicken breast, fully thawed
- 1 C yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 6 C chicken broth
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 C heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 C parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 8-10 lasagna noodles
- 2 C baby spinach, finely packed and chopped roughly
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- To the bowl of a 5-6 quart slow cooker, add chicken, onion, mushrooms, spices, chicken broth and bay leaves. Cover and begin to cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 8).
- When the 4 hours (or 8, if cooking on low) is up, remove and discard bay leaves. Remove chicken and shred with forks. Carefully return shredded chicken to slow cooker. Prepare remaining ingredients. Whisk together heavy cream, cornstarch and parmesan cheese. Stir into soup. Roughly chop spinach and break lasagna noodles into small pieces. Add both ingredients to the slow cooker. Cut room temperature cream cheese into small pieces or slices. Add to slow cooker and stir gently. Return the slow cooker cover. Continue cooking for an additional 30-45 minutes or until soup has thickened and pasta is tender.
- Serve warm with additional parmesan cheese or shredded mozzarella, if desired.
- Cool to room temperature before transferring to storage containers to refrigerate.
More slow cooker recipes to try:
- Slow cooker cheesy chicken enchilada soup
- Slow cooker broccoli cheddar potato soup
- Slow cooker white bean chicken chili
- Slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup
- Slow cooker nacho soup
- Slow cooker New England clam chowder
- Slow cooker lasagna soup
- Slow cooker chicken pie soup
- Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup
- Slow cooker cheesy buffalo chicken soup
Items used in this recipe:
This post contains affiliate links.