Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
Super easy homemade creamy slow cooker tomato soup recipe. This classic cold weather comfort food is a perfect meal to warm up with all winter long. This easy recipe is a perfect meal for any night of the week!
There are easily a handful of classic well loved flavors in almost any food category. For example… when it comes to cookies, it’s absolutely a toss up between chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal cookies. You can’t go wrong either way but everyone has their favorite. Then there’s vanilla and chocolate cake… or ice cream even. When given the choice, everyone has a preference. And then there’s white and whole wheat bread. The two top varieties.
When it comes to soup, the top two are definitely chicken and vegetable soup, with or without noodles, and classic tomato soup.
Thinking back to my childhood snow days, there always seemed to be pots of soup simmering away on the stovetop for us to come back inside to warm up with… along with grilled cheese, of course! I still look forward to a cozy bowl of soup on snow days, even if I’m not outside rolling around in the snow or building forts. Even just a chill in the air or a gloomy grey day calls for soup!
This super easy homemade classic tomato soup is a perfect meal to cozy up with on a cold day. Not only is this ridiculously easy to make, but it’s also very customizable. Use your favorite tomatoes, increase or decrease the spices, more or less cream. Taste along the way and make it perfect for you.
A few quick minutes of prep work for a tasty meal. You really can’t beat that!
I adore slow cooker meals. They let you prepare early and have a tasty meal ready for you when you want it. Practically no fuss or stress at all. Prep in the morning before work and come home to a tasty meal or prep and enjoy the aromas all day while you binge watch a favorite meal or cozy up with your favorite book on the couch. Whatever your plan is, the slow cooker is always a win.
Be sure to add this super easy homemade creamy slow cooker tomato soup recipe to your dinner plans this season! It’s perfect cold weather comfort food, you’ll be glad you whipped up! A must make for dinner asap!
Tips tricks and questions answered…
How much will this recipe make?
Depending on your portion size, this recipe will serve 6-8 roughly.
Can this recipe be frozen?
Yes! This soup will freeze great.
How long can this be stored?
This can easily be refrigerated for 4-5 days. If frozen, it will keep up to several months.
If reheating in individual portions, transfer to a stain resistant and heat safe container to microwave. If reheating in a large batch, transfer soup to a saucepan and heat over medium/medium-low until steaming.
Can I make substitutions to the ingredients?
This recipe works with the exact measurements and and ingredients listed. However, with savory dishes, spices can always be adjusted to personal preferences. Outside of any alterations I’ve already mentioned, for specific substitution questions, ask in the comments below.
What size slow cooker should I use?
I use a 6 quart slow cooker for all of my main dishes. A 5 quart would work as well. I wouldn’t go any smaller just to be on the safe side.
Do I need to use a blender?
There are two options for blending the should. Option 1: You can carefully ladle a portion of your soup to a blender and purée in batches. Puréed soup should be transferred to a separate large bowl between batches, before being put back in the slow cooker. This way everything gets processed and no chunks are left behind. Option 2: Use a handheld immersion blender to carefully purée the soup while still in the slow cooker. In both cases, be careful to not splatter the soup while puréeing or transferring the soup around as it will be hot.
How to balance an acidic flavor.
Tomatoes are naturally acidic. This may be more or less noticeable to one person over another. Due to personal taste or the tomatoes used, if you’re noticing an acidic flavor, you can offset this by adding 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar OR 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. You can play around with the amounts beyond this to suit your liking.
What add-ins do you recommend?
Easy add-ins for tomato soup include: shredded chicken, plain pasta shapes or filled pasta, such as tortellini, meatballs and vegetables.
More slow cooker recipes to try:
- Slow cooker cheesy chicken enchilada soup
- Slow cooker tomato tortellini soup
- Slow cooker white chicken lasagna soup
- Slow cooker broccoli cheddar potato soup
- Slow cooker white bean chicken chili
- Slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup
- Slow cooker nacho soup
- Slow cooker New England clam chowder
- Slow cooker lasagna soup
- Slow cooker chicken pie soup
- Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup
- Slow cooker cheesy buffalo chicken soup
- Slow cooker pizza soup
Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
- 1 C yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz tomato sauce
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 4 C chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 C heavy cream
- To the bowl of a 5-6 quart slow cooker add prepared onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, seasonings and bay leaves. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- When initial cook time is up, remove and discard bay leaves. Purée soup using an immersion blender or transfer soup in batches to a blender. If using a blender, transfer puréed soup to a large clean bowl until all soup has been puréed and can be placed back in the slow cooker.
- Stir in heavy cream. Continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes.
- Carefully taste soup and adjust seasonings as desired. If necessary, use a small amount of sugar or baking soda to offset any acidity. Begin with 1/4 tsp and increase as needed.
- Divide between bowls. Serve with optional toppings, such as: fresh basil, croutons, tortilla strips, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, sour cream or crackers.
This post contains affiliate links.